Why is Google My Business (GMB) important?
Properly setting up a GMB account will ensure that your business looks professional and legitimate in Google Search and Google Maps.
GMB setup is split into 3 steps:
- Create a business listing (if you don't already have a business listing on Google).
- Verify your GMB listing
- Connect your GMB account to your B12 listings account
1. Create a business listing (if you don't already have one)
- Go to https://www.google.com/business/, and click Manage now.
- Log in with a Google account (preferably a business email, since this GMB listing will represent your business).
- Search for your business name (if you find it, it means that somebody else tried to set it up, and you can request to take ownership of it: https://support.google.com/business/answer/4566671?hl=en), then click Create a business with this name.
- Confirm your business name and click Next.
- Select a category for your business and click Next.
- Depending on your business category, you may be asked to add a location.
- Add your service areas.
- Pick the region in which your business is based.
- List either your existing website, your B12 domain if you know it, or your business phone number.
- Click Finish.
- Verify your business. Optionally, you can skip this step and verify you business later.
- Adding business hours. Optionally, you can skip this step and add this information later.
- Choose whether or not to accept messages via Google My Business. Optionally, you can skip this step and make this selection later.
- Add a business description. Optionally, you can skip this step and add this information later.
- Add photos of your business. Optionally, you can skip this step and add photos later.
- Add Google Ad credits if you'd like.
- Click Continue to finish profile creation. All set!
2. Verify your GMB listing
Once you receive a postcard from Google with your verification code, you can verify your GMB listing.
- Log into the business dashboard and click Enter verification code in the Pending verification box.
- Enter the code into the code box and click Verify.
- You should see a confirmation screen!
3. Connect your GMB account to your B12 listings account
Follow the instructions in this support article.